Welcome to the Arkansas Action Center!
Help Stop a Massive Federal Tobacco Tax Hike!
President Obama's budget proposal would nearly double the federal excise tax on cigarettes—raising it from $1.01/pack to $1.95/pack! It would also increase federal taxes on other tobacco products by a similar percentage.
If passed, this would be the single-largest increase on federal tobacco taxes in history.
Arkansas Tobacco Revenue
- State Excise Tax on Cigarettes: $1.15
- State Excise Tax on Smokeless Tobacco: 68%
- State Excise Tax on Little Cigars: 68% WP
- State Excise Tax on Large Cigars: 68% MP
- Sales Tax on Cigarette Sales: 6%; $0.33 per pack
Arkansas Revenue from Cigarettes (In Millions)
- Excise Tax Collected (2011): $200.4
- Master Settlement Agreement (MSA Payments 2011): $49.5
- Cigarette Sales Tax Revenues (2011): $58.8
- Total Revenue Collected (2011): $620.6
Source: Bill Orzechowski & Rob Walker, The Tax Burden on Tobacco, vol. 46 (February 2012); funded in part by Altria Client Services Inc.